Many people will experience trauma in their lifetime whether it’s a car accident, abuse or neglect, the sudden death of a loved one, a violent criminal act, exposure to the violence of war, or a natural disaster.
While many people can recover from trauma over time with the love and support of family and friends, others may encounter lasting effects of trauma. Such a situation would cause a person to possibly live with deep emotional pain, fear, confusion, or other post-traumatic stress symptoms.
In these types of circumstances, the support, guidance and assistance of a therapist is fundamental to healing from trauma. Do you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Avoiding specific locations, sights, situations, and sounds that serve as reminders of the event
- Anxiety, depression, numbness, or guilt
- Intrusive thoughts, nightmares or flashbacks
- Anger, irritability and hypervigilance
- Aggressive, reckless behavior, including self-harm
- Sleep disturbances
Negative Mood and Cognition Symptoms
- Loss of interest in activities that were once considered enjoyable
- Difficulty remembering details of the distressing event
- Change in habits or behavior since the trauma
Research has proven psychotherapy to be an effective form of treatment for trauma. We have experience and training to help those dealing with the negative impact of trauma. We have worked with many people who have been able to gain positive progress towards dealing with their adverse experiences.
If you match the trauma symptoms listed above, we would be honored to help you move towards healing and recovery. Contact us today to make an appointment.